Position: Fund Development Consultant
Schedule: 15-20 hours per week
Timeline: 6 months, with potential expansion of role by end of contract period
Location: Anywhere in the United States (this is a remote position)
Deadline: Priority will be given to applications received before July 15; ideally applicants should be available to start in August.
Resonance Network is a network of over 3,000 Black, Indigenous, immigrant, women, femmes, trans, and two-spirit people and their co-conspirators who are building a world beyond violence–a world rooted in mutual care, where all people live in dignity, and all beings can thrive. We are healers, leaders, artists, survivors, and storytellers creating visionary spaces to access creativity and radical imagination, build deep relationship, and practice what it means to thrive. In a dominant culture world of extraction and harm toward our bodies and spirits, the expansiveness and care that shapes Resonance culture is an invitation to be present and whole. It is in this kind of beloved community that a world beyond violence can take root.
To date, Resonance Network has been supported by a single private foundation that provided seed funding and multi-year renewal support. Now, expanding funding support from a diverse set of donors and other revenue sources has gained greater urgency and importance, as 2021 represents the last year of our current grant funding. We have a goal to raise $2 Million over the next year, with an additional $5-10 Million in the pipeline over the next couple years.
Our fundraising efforts to date have been collaboratively held by a circle (working group) of several members of Resonance’s core team. Additionally, in early 2021 we engaged a skilled fundraising consultant on a time-limited basis, who has helped clarify the ways we present the network to funders, developed some initial fundraising collateral materials (boilerplate concept paper and pitch deck), and provided initial suggestions for building systems to support our fundraising efforts. The network’s fundraising capacity is in a very early stage of development.
Scope for this engagement
Resonance Network is seeking to engage a consultant to jump start its fundraising efforts. Because of the timeliness of diversifying our funding sources, we are looking for someone who can on-board quickly, then seamlessly pivot to converting the work of our current fundraising circle into action-oriented fundraising efforts.
We anticipate this consultancy to be a 6-month engagement, with the opportunity to mutually agree to a contract extension depending on how our fund-development efforts are progressing. There might also be an opportunity for this contract-based consultancy role to convert into a part-time or full-time position as part of the Resonance core staff team, pending successful results of our fund-development efforts.
The core elements of this scope include:
Fundraising Circle Coordination
- Convene at least 6 meetings of a circle of Resonance Network staff team and other circle members to collaborate on fundraising goals (network approach) — scheduling weekly fundraising meetings, capture/track next steps, assign and coordinate follow-up responsibilities, etc.
- Hold at least monthly brainstorm/planning sessions to collaborate with Resonance staff and participants outside of the core team to generate new fundraising opportunities and create plans to pursue them, including preparing the Co-directors and other fundraising leads for meetings with funders as needed.
Prospect & Pipeline Development and Funder Relationship Management
- Create a prospective funder tracking tool. Generate, expand, and organize/maintain a list of foundation prospects as a tool to track funder research and relationship management.
Partner with the Resonance team’s fundraising circle to identify cultivation pathways to fundraising goal — including adding at least 10 new viable prospects to the list. Create an income projection table that maps out these pathways to our $2 Million fundraising goal. Conduct prospect research on new foundations, donors, and other funding sources that have compelling alignment with Resonance Network strategy and programs, leveraging search databases, philanthropy networks, peer organizations, and referrals.
- Develop and manage a dynamic schedule of prospect outreach, letters of inquiries, proposals, and other fundraising inquiries and updating the fundraising calendar on a regular basis.
- Execute meeting follow-up, and moves management of donor and prospect relationships by carefully tracking outreach and engagement.
Fundraising Materials Development
- Finalize and update fundraising pitch deck.
- Prepare compelling letters of inquiry and proposals to at least 8-10 prospective grant-making institutions, persuasively articulating Resonance’s vision impact in alignment with funding opportunities.
- Send timely outreach and follow-up communications and contribution acknowledgements to funders.
- Alignment with Resonance Network’s purpose of building a world beyond violence by connecting people for relationship-building, healing, and transformation that centers the experiences of Black, Brown and Indigenous womxn, femmes, and QTPOC folx most impacted by white supremacy, patriarchy, extraction, and violence.
- At least 3 years experience in fundraising, specifically prospect research/development, grant/proposal writing, and relationship management with foundations in a non-profit context (as development staff or as fundraising consultant), with a track record in generating commitments from funders.
- High attention to detail and strong persuasive writing skills for proposals and email communications, and knowledge about what is engaging and persuasive to different audiences, whether in terms of substantive framing or visual presentation of information.
- A strong orientation toward collaboration and the capacity to drive work independently.
- Competency in G-suite applications (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheet) and Zoom, and familiarity with additional platforms like Slack and Asana preferred but not required.
- BIPOC, womxn, and LGBTQI+ folx especially encouraged to apply.
Please send as one combined document: 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, 3) a sample of a fundraising deck, proposal, or concept paper that you have created from previous work, 4) your consulting rate. Please send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org